Cloud IVR (Interactive Voice Response) can be a very frustrating experience for customers if it is not set up properly. However, when done correctly, interactive voice response can be not only a great tool for your call center by reducing agent talk time, but also an asset to your customers. When customers find they are able to speak to the right person the first time, and don’t have to speak to an agent for simple transactions, customer satisfaction will increase and cloud IVR won’t be seen as a burden.
The following tips will ensure that your interactive voice response is a helpful tool to your customers, rather than a nuisance:
- Always keep it simple. There is nothing more frustrating than a cloud IVR that has eight different options, and eight different levels. By making your cloud IVR short and to the point, your call completion rates will increase, as will customer satisfaction.
- Provide the most common options first. If you know that a high percentage of your calls are for sales, make sales the first option in your interactive voice response.
- Have a trained and knowledgeable agent ready. One of the most important factors of customer satisfaction is a friendly, helpful agent on the other end.
- Provide an out. No matter how well your interactive voice response is set up, some customers are going to be unwilling to listen to all of the options. Allow these customers to press “0” for an operator who can direct them to who they are trying to reach.
- Use the information your customers provided you. If you ask a customer for their account number during the hosted IVR, make sure that information reaches the agent before the customer does. Nobody wants to be forced to repeat information.
An IVR system can be a powerful tool in increasing customer satisfaction when set-up properly. So, make sure you take customer satisfaction into consideration and take the appropriate steps to make your call center efficient.