Though many businesses have contemplated switching over to VoIP for their telephony solutions, the fear of the transition holds many back. Many are hesitant to take on the task because their current phone system works “well enough”, while others debate the switch because of rumors that it’s complicated. However, neither of these factors is relevant; an okay phone system isn’t going to create an enhanced or reliable brand image to your customers, and not only is VoIP an easy switch, the quality and increase in productivity is worth the minimum effort that is required.
For those that are still hesitant, there are best practices to ensure that the switch to VoIP goes without a hitch:
- Check your Internet speed. Ensure that you have enough Internet speed and bandwidth to handle both your regular Internet traffic and your phone lines. VoIP systems will not work well on slow Internet connections.
- Evaluate all VoIP providers. The most important factor that can make the switch seamless, or a complete disaster, is the VoIP provider that you choose. This should not be taken lightly. Your VoIP provider should have plenty of redundancy and failover plans, multiple positive testimonies, and offer 24×7 support. Don’t be afraid to test and confirm this in the middle of the night.
- Purchase quality phone equipment. Don’t get sucked into purchasing cheap phone equipment. Make sure that everything you purchase is of high quality, with high ratings and satisfaction. Your VoIP provider should be able to recommend phones that would work best for your business.
- Don’t skimp on your routers, either. A good router will reduce dropped calls, and increase the quality of your calls.
- Have a failover plan. When using VoIP, there is a risk that Internet connections will be lost, causing the phone connections to be lost as well. Building redundancies and using failover switches will ensure that this doesn’t happen to your business. In most cases, your VoIP provider will already have these in place and planned for you.
By choosing a knowledgeable VoIP provider, making the switch to VoIP can be a painless process.